Tuesday 13 January 2015

First HaT Hoplites Completed...?

Good morning,

While I'm still whiling away at my Early Achaemenid Persian Immortals element...




...I present to you my first element of HaT Hoplites.






Well, almost HaT Hoplites. There's a HaT Punic Wars African spearman in there...for some reason.

(They look much less slap dash (though indeed I was not slap dash with the paint - I thought I was being ever so careful!) to the human eye. Digital photography can be so cruel!)

Anyway, I've also got these Veni Vidi Vici transfers for same...


...but the carrier film is a bit yellowed, so...I'm not sure. I think I'll try the Gorgan's head on the yellow shield guy, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Whatdyathink? To decal, or not to decal, that is the question.

Nick

[A bit later]




Not too bad. Had to put a [turned out to be gloss] varnish over the blue shield, as the decal's shiny-ness stuck out like a sore thumb. I may need to get some flat varnish at some point.

13 comments:

  1. Very colourful Nick, more power to your brushes!
    I'd be interested to see how the decals turn out, may as well give it a shot, you could tidy up yellowed edges with a bit of paint perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Yep, I've given a couple a go - fiddly, fiddly little things they are - and, well...not too bad. Bit shiney...perhaps I need some flat varnish.

      See above.

      Might even try a third.

      Nick

      Delete
  2. Great work, and yes decals look good to me! Get a pot of matt varnish, or matt spray. Testors Dullcote is best matt spray varnish I've used. Get it from Acorn.

    Also DBA this Friday evening round at my place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. Yep, Friday'd work for me. I'll email you.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking Hopites, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Just a billion more figs to go!

      Delete
  4. Hoplites need shield insignia. The challenge is getting variety (or just do Spartans). I feel your pain with varnish - the last HAT figures I varnished with matt went gloss. I plan to over spray them now I have a good matt spray again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking of looking at Little Big Men decals - these VVV decals I have are only in red - not much point atop a red shield!

      Delete
  5. Great hoplites! I really like how you have made the shields look like they are protecting them, did you cut the shield away from their backs and bend or cut them off all together and reattach? I like the hat hoplite set but always disliked the flatness of the poses you have done a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I cut through their backs until I could forcefully bemd their shields around. It took a while and I cut my thumb a number of times, but I quite like the way they turned out. I did the same with the HaT Phalangites.

      Delete