Monday 10 November 2014

South Island Regional X Wing Miniatures Game Competition Game 3

Good evening,

Well, two down (and I mean down!), two to go. For day 1 of the South Island Regional X Wing Miniatures Game Competition. (Day 2 saw me in Wellington for a Joe Satriani concert - been there, done that, got the T shirt. Whoo hoo!)

I started at table 2 (by random draw), got relegated to a middle table courtesy of my 1st loss, now I'm at the bottom table courtesy of my second. Oh how the mighty have fallen! :-)

Yark!

Anyway, I was now up against Martin and his Bend-Wing-Bird list (all pilot skill 2)...
  • Scimitar Squadron Pilot 1 (TIE Bomber) with Flechette Torpedoes, Ion Pulse Missiles and Munitions Failsafe (if they missiles don't hit anything you can use them again later)
  • Scimitar Squadron Pilot 2 (TIE Bomber) with Flechette Torpedoes, Ion Pulse Missiles and Munitions Failsafe
  • Scimitar Squadron Pilot 2 (TIE Bomber) with Flechette Torpedoes, Ion Pulse Missiles and Munitions Failsafe
  • Tempest Squadron Pilot in a TIE Advanced with Ion Pulse Missiles and Munitions Failsafe
So, since my Y Wing didn't make for a very effective flanker, I thought I'd try my two Reds 1 and 2.


At least this time there was a bit of a corridor obliquely through the asteroids.


I do wish those Red Squadron boys would hurry up!

Still, Garven and Dutch were benefitting from hiding behind the rocks.


Let the fur ball begin!


I was able to pour some co-ordinated hurt onto Scimitar 2, and, as, the TIE Bombers are about as manoeuvrable as an X in defence...



Huzzah! Gotta love the Ion Turret on the Y Wing!

Unfortunately...



...the weapon fire wasn't all one way!

Still, I was happy - I'd finally managed to shoot something off the table!


Rotten rocks getting in the way! Red 1 had a lovely shot lined up on that Tempest TIE A, were he not parked on an asteroid!

And so...



Rats! There goes Garven!





But at least Red 1 got his revenge on the TIE A!

So, we were both left with two on the board...Miss Ford...




Make that 2:1.

Go Red 1!


No shooting this round...


...some this round...

...but, in this subsequent round...



Bother!

And that was the end of that. Time was called - my Y Wing was down to three hull (just off to the left of shot), and so was his TIE Bomber. Could have been anyone's game...though he was in a better shot for a missile strike...but I'd get to shoot first with my Ion Turret...which wouldn't have pushed him over the edge, but, would have given me a good chance to push him off the table!

After such a close game, it game down to just one point to decide who achieved the modified win...

Me! 73 points destroyed to Martin's 72. Huzzah!

Great game Martin, it was lots of fun,

Nick

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kev! Yep, a win [by one point] by any other name would smell as sweet!

      Delete
  2. Great report Nick! Got to feel a wee bit sorry for Martin after this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quite right Rodger. One more turn, and, chances are, my Y Wing would be holding on by the very skin of it's teeth. The only way I could have won was if I could ion the bomber, get out of it's fire arc, keep it ironed until I could get it into my own fire arc, then, let him have it a point blank range. Not impossible...if the Y could have withstood the missile barrage that was about to come it's way!

      Delete
  3. I think you can chalk that one up to an Epic Victory...a Sound Thrashing...Six of the Best, Trousers-Down...you Smashed It...you Nailed It...

    ...you won.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete