Saturday 9 June 2012

The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build Time's Up +9

Good evening,

Well, I've finally got the decals on. I forgot how fiddly decals can be - this lot took me about three sessions!





And as I was doing it, I discovered that the wing walks were already provided as decals - I didn't need to mask 'n paint them after all!

Interestingly, the canopy doesn't sit right - the pilot's in the way. So it's ever so slightly off centre. Don't tell anyone! There is practically no indication on the canopy itself to even attempt painting the front shield frames, so...I didn't.

Now all I gotta do is some light weathering and get some of that decal stuff from Andy to take the shine off, so to speak.

And to start decalling the Hurricane.

What have I learnt through all this? Lightly undercoat the whole plane first before trying to paint on thin acrylic paint!

Nick

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant work Nick. Wonderful looking model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger. It's been an...interesting...build!

      Delete
  2. Well done Nick, it looks smart.
    So what's next for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finish this with some weathering, then the Hurri, then finally finish those PSC PV IVs!

      Might give WW2 a bit of a rest after that. I'd really like to get those Sarmations done, then...well, either Late Imperial Romans (the cav can't be far away) or Alexander's army.

      Mind you, there's still those SS and Falshirmjagers!

      Delete
    2. Actually, upon further reflection, I might leave it as is. What few photos I can find of the real thing only show minor wear and tear.

      Now I'll wait for some magnets - I'm going to try my hand at a flight stand.

      Delete
    3. I'll be interested to see your flight stand as I still haven't done mine.
      Back to ancients eh? At least they're still in a great scale, even if they're not WW2 ;)

      Delete
    4. Yeah, well... that's how I started all those years ago!

      Still, gaming WW2 is pretty cool!

      Delete
  3. Now we are getting somewhere Nick. Looking very impressive indeed.

    Well worth the drama I think.

    Regards Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. And you thought it could get done in a week! :-)

      Thanks for coming along for the ride too.

      Delete
  4. It's turned out well - after all the agony! Decals are a dam' nuisance - they always seem to be on the look out to slide into a different position after you've put the model down, silver even though all the correct procedures have been followed,and, worst of all, roll up into a tiny ball just for the fun of it! Having said that, you will doubtless be looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steven. It does seem that I've been moaning my way through this process, doesn't it?! In actual fact I've enjoyed the challenge.

      Yep, onto the Hurricane. Might see how Andy is doing the canopy frames on his...

      Delete
  5. Thats a really nice looking plane, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dan. Where's yours, dare I ask?! :-)

      Lovely 15mm SM's mate. Very creative.

      Delete