Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build Begins!

Good evening,

And here are my opening shots of The Great Hawker Named-After-A-Weather-Event Aircraft Group Build.






Well the pilot at least I can handle!

One of my first comments was...Arghhh! The model does not have a wheels up option! Since this is primarily for wargaming, I jumped on the 'net to see if anyone had any solutions.

From here, I found these...(by the way, these are mostly for my own reference...)




Note the retracted tail wheel...guess he cut the wheel supplied in the kit right down...

And from here, this...


Note the spinner. No blades. Looks more like they're spinning really fast...and at least they won't get broken off during a game!

From here, this...


...note the problems with the closed u/c doors...(cool scheme, though!). Mind you...


This fellow over came by filling them in.


Not a bad idea, this is a wargame toy, not a display piece.

Here's what he finished up with.


Note - no tail wheel. Certainly an easier option, given my lack of modelling experience!

So, for what it's worth, I've opened the box, washed the plastic, have discovered my first problem and now have a couple of ideas to fix it.

Best get me some model filler, me thinks!

Nick

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Fran. Its nights like this that had me insisting on the build lasting a month - Paul wanted to finish it in a week!

      Delete
    2. And for good reason too, it sorts the wheat from the chaff don't you know!

      Delete
    3. Ah, but I already know who of the two of us is the chaff when it comes to modelling!

      Delete
  2. Good start Nick. I have not checked my Tempest yet, so I hope it has a wheels up option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

      Delete
  3. And so it begins...(cue dramatic music)...
    I have posted my first evening's work.
    Yep, found same problem with non retracting wheels, so just chopped it about like the picture in your post.
    Pondering how to get a decent look to that glass cockpit- masking perhaps?
    Also thinking about "invasion stripes".

    Keep up the good work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm wondering about invasion stripes too - gotta have 'em, this'll close air support around Normandy and beyond after all. I'm guessing the judicious use of masking tape and careful painting...?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I suspect the painting may be the most time consuming task, as there isn't a lot of detail on this kit.
      Re the wheels/undercarriage issue- I left the wheels off altogether and just kept chopping bits of plastic away until I could get the two parts to fit reasonably well together- made it up as I went along....again ;)

      Delete
    3. Hi Bro,

      No, there's not a lot of detail, but...I've just spent about 90 minutes working out the undercarriage doors (much like you have - I thought I might also put some card backing behind them to strengthen and level them) and filing the radiator back into shape. The two fuselage halves were slightly misaligned.

      Also chopped off the propeller blades!

      Model on!

      Delete